When Matt counsels industry clients in transactions, disputes, or insurance issues, he operates from the place where business and legal issues overlap. By integrating both perspectives into his work, he guides his clients through an inherently complex, dynamic, and high-stakes legal terrain. In a field as intricate as construction, almost no question is purely legal, or purely business. With this hybrid perspective always in mind, Matt brings an exceptionally creative and multifaceted approach to solving problems.
Matt routinely drafts and negotiates complex construction contracts and professional services agreements, and he has a thorough understanding of the AIA, EJCDC, ConsensusDocs, and DBIA industry templates, which he adapts to address each specific client and project. He also represents owners, general contractors, and design professionals in complex litigation and disputes. In addition, he assists corporate policy holders in the evaluation of insurance coverage issues for both first-party and third-party insurance, and he reviews and drafts risk management provisions in commercial agreements.
Matt’s track record in these distinct but deeply connected disciplines—construction-related transactional law, litigation, and insurance—makes him an exceptionally versatile, multifaceted, and knowledgeable advisor to his clients’ teams. His deep insurance knowledge is particularly valuable. Insurance is a key risk management tool in a construction project, and his capabilities in this field help clients with risk transfer and mitigation. Matt assists them in structuring their insurance programs, developing insurance requirements for project participants, and obtaining the maximum benefit from the insurance coverage in place at the time issues arise. And because he understands coverage on the back end, he knows what issues matter on the front end when he is reviewing contracts.
Regardless of the situation, Matt digs in to serve his role as an instrumental, trusted member of each client’s team. In helping demystify sources of risk and anxiety, Matt is especially skilled at breaking complex issues down into succinct, actionable assessments that allow clients to make meaningful, informed decisions, all in service to solving the problem at hand.
In his spare time, Matt is all about sports and his family. He’s a lifelong fan of the Longhorns and San Antonio Spurs, and he enjoys biking, golf, basketball, running, and fishing.
- Represented national student housing development company in the development of a $100 MM student housing facility. The representation included (i) negotiation of the design-build contract with the design-builder and (ii) negotiation of construction-related issues with the lender.
- Analyzed insurance policies for prospective design and construction firms and assisted in drafting and negotiating construction and design contracts for a large governmental entity on a $900 MM expansion project.
- Represented real estate developer in redevelopment of shopping mall facility into mixed-use facility. The representation included negotiation of construction and design contracts with an approximate value of $50 MM.
- Negotiated contractual insurance requirements and reviewed insurance programs of contractor and design professional on behalf of a public entity on a $400 MM construction project.
- Represented construction lender in due diligence review of construction and design contracts with an aggregate value of over $350 MM.
- Represented national student housing development company in the development of a $45 MM student housing facility. The representation included negotiation of the (i) development agreement with economic development corporation and (ii) the design-build contract with the design-builder.
- Represented real estate developer in the negotiation of construction contract for a $41 MM multi-family housing project.
- Represented equity investor in the review and negotiation of construction and design contracts between affiliates of vertically integrated development company for an approximately $37 MM affordable housing project.
- Represented real estate developer in negotiation of construction contracts for two multi-family complexes with a combined aggregate value of approximately $35 MM.
- Represented real estate developer in negotiation of construction contract for a $28 MM affordable housing project utilizing HUD financing.
- Represented real estate developer in negotiation of design-build contract for industrial facility with an approximate value of $20 MM.
- Represented chemical manufacturer in negotiation of design-build contract for new lab facility with an approximate value of $5 MM.
- Represented oil and gas company in negotiation of construction contract for finish out of new office with an approximate value of $2 MM.
- Represented healthcare company in negotiation of construction contract for finish out of new headquarters with an approximate value of $1.5 MM.
- Represented an affordable housing developer on insurance issues related to fire damage to a mixed-use development project.
- Defended a bonding agency in $20 MM litigation arising from fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represented a large engineering firm in $30 MM construction/design defect lawsuit.
Presentations & Publications
- Projecting the Project with Insurance and Bonds
Place: HalfMoon Education (September 2019)
- Ten Key Insurance Issues for Corporate Counsel
Place: Austin Association of Corporate Counsel (August 2019)
- Managing Risk with General Liability and Professional Liability Insurance Coverage
Place: Texas Engineering Law Seminar (July 2016)
- Texas Mechanic’s Liens and Bond Claims
Place: University of Texas at San Antonio, School of Architecture (November 2014, April 2015, and June 2016)
- CGL Coverage Issues
Place: Coats Rose Lunch and Learn Series (July 2013)
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section | Member (2009-Present)
- State Bar of Texas Insurance Law Section | Member (2012-Present)
- State Bar of Texas Litigation Section | Member (2009-Present)
- Austin Bar Association, Construction Law Section | Member (2017-Present)
- Texas Exes Association, Houston Chapter | Member (2005-Present)
- J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston (2008)
- B.A., Government, The University of Texas at Austin (2005)
Licenses & Certifications
- Supreme Court of Texas
- Admitted to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas